The Open Access Foundation for Arts and Culture (OAFAC) is seeking new members for our Board of Directors who will bring dedication and vision into our organization. Send in your application by November 6, 2023.
About the OAFAC Board
The OAFAC Board of Directors is a working Board. Each member is expected to attend monthly meetings (12 per year), to participate in committee work between monthly meetings, participate in a holistic (and intensive) organizational development project running throughout the remainder of 2023 and into 2024, and commit to serving a two-year term. In addition to adhering to Board governance, overseeing the finances of the organization, and supporting the development of policies and organizational practices that put into practice the principles of disability justice, ideal candidates will help develop and implement strategies that will generate revenue, attract new supporters, and build the organization’s profile within the local and national arts and disability justice ecologies. This is an incredibly exciting time to join an organization that is at the forefront of advancing cultural accessibility in the arts.
Commitments of each Board member include:
- Regular attendance at Board meetings and important related meetings. New members will be expected to attend our Board’s December 7th, 2023 meeting. Currently meetings are held on Zoom at 6:30pm PT, the first Thursday of each month.
- Being responsive to communication from Staff and other Board members.
- A commitment to participate actively in priority work as it arises.
- Staying informed about Board matters, which include preparing in advance for meetings, and reviewing and commenting on minutes and reports.
- Getting to know other board members and building a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus.
- Getting to know and staying informed about the programming activities of the organization and of the arts community in Greater Vancouver, generally.
- Participation in fundraising for the organization.
Board members are volunteers and therefore cannot be financially compensated for their work, or be featured artists with OAFAC while serving on the Board.
All of our meetings are currently conducted virtually, and are captioned with Otter.ai. We will work closely with each board member to expand and shift access practices to meet access related needs to support full involvement.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for Board members from variety of backgrounds and lived experiences, with a particular focus on artists and cultural workers who live at the intersection of any of the following identities: BIPOC, Mad, Psychiatric Survivors, D/deaf, Hard of Hearing, Disabled, Neurodivergent, Blind, Low Vision, Nonvisual, Fat, Poor, LGBTQI2S, youth, seniors and those labeled with Intellectual and/or Cognitive Disabilities. Applicants can be located anywhere in so-called Canada.
We are looking for Board members who have two or more of the following qualifications:
- are familiar with Disability Justice and anti-oppressive frameworks
- have previous board and/or equivalent community organizing experience, including any of the following:
- organizational development
- community organizing
- policy development
- fundraising and donor relations
- nonprofit law
- have experience working in the context of the cultural sector, specifically Deaf, Disability and Mad Arts
- are excited to be a champion of this organization
How to apply:
Please send the following documents to email@example.com by November 6, 2023.
- Resume, 3 pages max, in PDF format
- Cover letter OR video
- Letters, 1 page, 500 words max, in PDF format
- Video, 3.5 minutes max, through a file hosting service (such as GoogleDrive, or DropBox)
- In your cover letter/video please speak to the following (in addition to anything else you would like to share): Based on your lived experiences and skills, how do you see yourself contributing to this organization?